Saturday 13 August 2011

Holiday Time

We are on holiday at the moment, down at the holiday home we have.
J has been okay with it all as he is used to the place and knows we are going when I get the big box out at home to pack food and drink to take with us (so I don't have to go straight to the shops when we arrive).

But the last two days have been horrendus with him. Up, down, shouty, screaming, manic laughter, hitting, head banging, stealing food, throwing water over the floors, itchy feet and stamping. And why? That flaming full moon. I knew it had to be before I even checked.

But a positive event that has occured in this holiday is that I allow him to scooter off down the road. And when I say road I do mean it is off road, no main street, only access for holiday home owners and speed bumps and signs of 5 mph only.
He asks for "play time" and I say yes. He grabs his scooter, opens the gate and off he goes with a loud "weeeeeeeeeeeeeee" as I observe him disappear round the corner.
I sit on the veranda and listen to his happy noises as he snakes his way round and back up to our drive.
He adores this freedom so much he is out there until I call him back. He is red faced and sweaty but so very happy. The exercise is doing him good physically too. Just a shame it is not wearing him our mentally and helping him to feel more tired come evening time.

I allowed my middle son to follow him yesterday. Up until then he had only been allowed to go as far as I could see him, but he was desperate to show me his independance so I allowed him to.
After two minutes I followed with the baby and spied them both scootering along merrily, J leading and O following behind. I hid behind trees and cars watching them!  They were having a whale of a time and O was almost sad to see me when I eventually appeared.

The weather has been a typical British summer. Rain and overcast one minute, sun and blue skies the next. We are almost primed ready for the second the last drop of rain falls and as soon as it has we are off out the door, sitting on the veranda playing games such as Lego towers, which involves O and I making Lego skyscrapers, whilst J takes all the dark blue bricks for his tower and W sweeps them away and over the edge of the veranda onto the ground outside, or we grab the outdoor gear and traipse up to the Monument for a dog walk and game of remote control car racing.