Monday 11 June 2012

First break away

J had his first ever trip away from me recently.
He went with his class of 7 other children and several staff.
The place they went to is a dedicated activity centre for children with a disability. They slept in purpose built cabins.
J got to try the zip wire, ( for which he was scared of, due to not knowing why he was getting into a harness) but once up, he loved it.
He apparently loved archery too.
Because the children are so active in the day, they sleep well at night, and I was told he wanted to stay in his bed the first morning, until the mention of toast was uttered, and he shot out to the table to eat it!
He is a toast monster!
I have been told he will get to go again next year, his final year at his present school.
I missed him so much. I felt odd and had butterflies in the few days before he left, and the entire time he was not in my care. When the school bus beeped outside the house upon his return, I leaped up and ran to get him. As usual he did not want a cuddle, a kiss, or an acknowledgment towards me, but my boy was home, and I could relax again.

He turned 10 recently, and a decade ago, I had no idea about the path we would be taken on.
I have toughened up immensly, and have found a voice that speaks up for him, and for others.
I know my life is meant to be this way, and that in the future I will give back to other children, all I have learnt from J. This special needs world we reside in,is very special indeed.
The privilege to be able to not take anything for granted, and to learn that love runs so very deep, and evolves and adapts to whatever the big world has to pass your way.