Saturday 16 May 2015

You Gotta Love The Twitter Platform Of Fame

It seems nowadays I have so very little 'spare' time to sit and type a post for this blog. I use Twitter a fair bit now, as it's quick to do.



I have kept up to date with all the latest news and trending stories, and this one has caught my attention...

"Honey can't complete the autism assessment as she is too busy being a complete t**t. But the s**t mum assessment is complete." 

"Honey is completing a story about three little pigs. She identifies strongly with this animal"
(This is in regards to the tweet above she wrote. Comparing an autistic child to a pig.)

"ED STOP LOOKING AT US, you are weird. Look at people not a machine. Try and act off the spectrum"

These are, predictably, the words spoken from a woman who appears to be (via her copious tweetings)  a mix between a schadenfreude and narcissist. Anyone is within her target, and her 'fans' all find it incredibly funny when she attacks another sector of society she despises - until she attacks something close to them. Then it's not so funny anymore.

For me I find it best to take her commentating with a pinch of salt, as I can see it's done for shock value with a side of self adulation.
There have been many before her - think Colin Brewer and his 'killing newborn disabled children by smashing their heads against a wall' comment.

Do her comments about autism hurt me? No.
Do her comments about special needs hurt me? No.
Why?
Because I am the person immersed in the world of autism and special needs, and I can see just how beautiful and inspiring it is, and I feel sorry for her that she chooses not to see that. She sees the stereotype and not the truth. That is her choice. I can't influence that.
But, her comments do hurt those who have autism and special needs, and potentially their family and friends.
The pleasure she appears to take from that is something I cannot identify with at all.

I believe the words she writes are wrong and hurtful, but while there is a media circus, and 'fans' who glorify this kind of behaviour, she has a platform, and is earning good money, fame, and the much craved for attention.
The name of this woman :- Katie Hopkins.

Like her views and statements she makes daily, this one is my opinion. I choose not to use defamatory, hurtful, unkind, or rude words about her, as I am not that kind of person. The words schadenfreude and narcissist were used in context with the overview of her use of words towards others ( if you have the time to scroll through the endless tweeting on her page).



And that is all I have to say about this woman and this story.