Monday 10 August 2015

Summer Holidays

We are half way through the school summer holidays, and J has been struggling with the complete stop of school.
I made a large calender with a big square for each day of the holidays, and highlighted the day school re-starts for him. I cross off each day as it ends, so he can see we are getting closer to the day he can return.

As he has two younger brothers, the youngest who has a vision impairment, going out and about is more of a challenge, and I tend to stick to less commercial places, and the big outdoors.
We love visiting the local lake and nature reserve, and can make a day out there, with walking, a picnic, paddling, playing ball games, and sitting on the shore watching the ripples on the water.

A visit to the local lake and nature reserve.


He has also been his usual artistic self. Creating art from the supplies in the cupboard.
The giant chalks are always a hit with all three boys, and the garden patio area is a fantastic canvas for them to create their masterpieces.

J creating a chalk drawing on the patio. One of our labradors sitting in the foreground.

J's chalk drawing. When asked what it was, he replied "Space",

J and water are still a big obsession with him. He loves the garden tap, and turns the hose on to spray around. Unfortunately, yesterday we had a mishap. I went to turn the kitchen tap on, and the water pressure was low. I asked my middle son to go outside and check the tap was off properly. He came back in and said there was water spraying everywhere.
I went to investigate myself, and came across a burst pipe that was spraying every way possible. 
There was a make shift attempt to stem the flow, with kitchen roll and paper, which I knew would have been J. He had tried to stop it himself, the superstar.
Turning the tap off made no difference, and turning it on reduced the spray from the pipe, but not much. 

The garden pipe, with its paper towel wrapping by J.

I have water pipe cover and so arranged a call out within the hour. I did have to be persuasive to the call handler, as I wasn't able to turn the stop cock off (located at the bottom of my drive, under a cover, that would not lift up), and thankfully it was all fixed before tea time. 

It's all fun when you have children!