Sunday 28 March 2010

New medicine

Well again I am going to try J with some medicine. Specifically the recommended magnesium and Vitamins B6 and B12.

Now as you can imagine getting J to take a tablet would be a miracle as his eating habits are so poor and he has a fear of anything new food or drink wise.
A few years ago I attempted to medicate him with these vitamins but as they were tablet form I had to crush them to a fine powder and hide it within a syrup in an oral syringe. Even with this he knew there was something in there and would attempt to vomit it up, if indeed he had actually swallowed it and not spat it out or kept it in his mouth for an extraordinary amount of time.

I went health food shopping yesterday and miracles upon miracles they now make these in a liquid form. He has had the three recommended doses today, which for the first dose amounted to me blocking him in the kitchen until he swallowed it. He was going for the world record of 5 ml of liquid vitamins in mouth without swallowing and managing to say " swallow,swallow" after my prompting to do so.
He did swallow it eventually - hence me being able to come here and type this out. We would still be in the kitchen now if not.

I estimate it will take around 6 weeks of daily doses before we see a difference, indeed if we see any difference at all. I say 6 weeks as it takes the body that long to build up a store of the vitamins you are taking, and if the body is lacking it can take longer. Once the body has enough of each vitamin it can then use it effectively and for the purpose I am hoping it will improve.
Studies show that autistic people lack magnesium quite enormously and as this mineral is reported to help with mental health and well being ( as well as PMT ladies) I am especially looking for an improvement in this area.

I am also using the well known omega formula as well.

So as the saying goes - only time will tell. But I hope upon hope that these combined additions to his diet really do make a substantial difference to his life, health and well being.