Sunday 25 April 2010

Awareness of others

If you are reading this and already know about autism or learning difficulties more than just basic facts, you more often than not will be able to tell if a person has either disability, as the tell tale signs are more obvious to those exposed to it on a regular basis.

Those that have little or no understanding of these can be excused to an extent their ignorance.

However, ignorant and rude are not the same.

Before autism came into my life, I like to think that I was a kind person who never judged others and did not stare, point, comment or mock anyone appearing to have special needs.

But, now it has touched my life, I am hyper aware of those who have these disabilities and I make extra special time to smile, converse with the more verbally astute and make them feel no different to anyone else.

The other day I was in traffic and my eyes wandered over to the pavement where I witnessed a grown man of around 25, crawling on his hands and knees. He was not a drunk, druggie, or having a joke. He had learning difficulties. I could just tell.

I felt sorry for him that he had no-one with him. It seemed to me that he was over loading outside of his comfort zone and he reverted to behaviour that comforted him and made him feel safe.

But, the one emotion which I felt strongest, was anger. Anger at the ignorant, rude, down right imbecilic men sitting in their van in the other lane of traffic, making gestures and comments towards this man. Now I could go into stereotyped mockery of these men in their white van, The Sport newspaper taking pride of place on their dashboard, and cigarettes in dirty, chewed down nailed hands, but really I have conjured up a good image of them in my description, and there I will leave you with your own assumptions of them.

I only wish I could have a magic cloak, which I would wrap around all people with autism and learning difficulties, and protect them from those that are contemptuous and disrespectful.