Thursday 14 March 2013

Vincent Van Gogh

I have held a fascination with Vincent Van Gogh's paintings for many years.
A few of them seem to 'speak' to me, make me understand what he was conveying, how he was feeling, his need to express through the brush.
I have read before about the speculation that he had autism, or the higher functioning Aspergers.
Now I can see it in him. I can see the way my J draws, and it has the same substance to it, as to some of Vincents.
J finds release and calm when he is drawing. He has his own idea of perfection, and it may take him an hour of drawing, erasing, and looking at it from different angles, but when he is happy, he smiles and leaves it lying around - usually when I rush to snap a picture, as he will erase it all just as quick.

J has a very good eye for detail. He has always been extremly visual. When he was eighteen months old he was able to complete a 26 piece alphabet puzzle, the individual piece puzzle, upside down!
I would watch him tip the pieces out, and whichever way the board was facing, he was able to pick up a letter and slot it in the correct space. He sped through it as well.
He is always alert and looking round. He spies everything, and this shows through his art work.


 
 

The above two paintings of Vincent's are very similar to how J paints or draws with felt tips. There are also a few magentic drawings too which have similarities, such as the bottom picture.Most of his similar works are created with paint and pen, not on the magnetic drawer.
J's talent will continue to grow, and his skills develop, and I will always provide him the materials to create his masterpieces. His work shows me glimpses into his mind, and the chance to understand his feelings.