Saturday 27 November 2010

Squeeze,Stir and Mix.

I should buy shares in Pantene, Radox, Carex and all other cleaning manufacturers as my J has a facination with mixing any liquid he can get his hands on.
I buy a new bottle of X and before I have time to hide it J has spied it, grabbed it, and makes off to the bathroom to squeeze it out into any receptical he can find.
I have hiding places for most of my products, but he has a daily rummage through all drawers, lifting up items (as he has learnt that I hide things under other things) and I do have a lock on my bathroom, but he goes beserk if it is locked and yells "wee wee, toilet, poo poo" over and over and over again.
So, I have no nice products anymore as he once used my Dior Capture magic cream which was given to me at a cost of £110 (!) and he used the whole lot and mixed it with toothpaste and Sudocream.He enjoyed this concoction, but I did'nt.
I wear hardly any make-up and what I do own, foundation, is again pumped out of the bottle so as to give his mixtures a lovely tint.
A nail varnish pot I had once, was thrown and smashed against the t.v and still to this day there is a ruby red smear running down it!
He found a blue nail varnish pot a few weeks ago (I have no idea where as I do not wear varnish) and painted his toe nails. He made a good job of it too. Perhaps his vocation lies in being a nail artist.

Handwashes left by basins are poured straight out and the bottle re-filled with water and left in its original place.
Cans of spray are another favourite and will be sprayed copiously and continously over mirrors, fogging them up, enabling him to create finger drawings in the mess they leave on the surface.

In the summer, when the garden door is left open more often, he gets milk and throws it over the patio and then steps into it and creates milky footprints all around.

When we had a sand pit (note the word 'when') he would scoop up handfuls of it, mix it in cups and spread it around the bath. Sand is a sensory favourite of his quite a lot. He has been known to sit in a sand pit and pour it over his head. Once, on a day trip to the New Forest we stumbled upon a man made sand pit and he sat down to play. Turning my face away to concentrate on feeding the baby he took the opportunity to fill his ears up with sand.
The sand was so impacted there was only the outer rim of his his visible. I had to tip his head to each side, rake my finger inside, and try to remove as much as I could.

There is a great mixture that is used a lot for sensory and tactile purposes and it is a corn flour kind of gloop. It is almost liquid when mixing with a spoon but is stiffer and chalk like when touched with hands. Such a simple idea which is pleasurable for J and many others like him.
Unfortunately it does not deter him in his quest to pour, squeeze and mix every liquid he can obtain.
I should point out that all harmful liquids (and I mean such items as bleach, cleaners etc) are kept in the kitchen which is locked almost all of the time, and even when he is in there (with an adult) he is not showing any interest in opening the cupboard to them.

I have resigned myself to having very few bottles of products and every visitor who stays overnight also learns the lesson of keeping everything hidden and away from his little creative hands!