Monday 11 March 2013

J's first major stage performance

Saturday night was one of the best nights out I've ever had.
I went to see J perform in a dance routine for our regions Rock Challenge.
Primary schools, both mainstream and special ed can enter the competition, and they have to create a dance set with music, costumes, and lights.
J's school has entered the last few years, but we all felt he was not capable of coping with the enormity of the day, and the pressure of learning a routine.
At Christmas I was approached by a teacher, who asked me if I would let him take part in this one. She felt he was capable, and I agreed.
I was'nt told what they were doing, it was to be a suprise on the night. At home I would see him looking at his reflection and perform little moves. I guessed it was what he was learning for the routine.

The anticipation of the night built up. I was so excited, but also emotional and teary.
We had to watch all the other schools perform first, as his was last on, so the wait was even longer.

When it was time, the music started pumping out, the lights were used for special effect, and my mum and I waited to see him emerge from the wings of the stage.
The venue this was held in was large. The stage was large. There were a sea of family and friends from every school sitting and watching. It was daunting I expect for a lot of the mainstream children, so for J and his school friends to stand up there and perform was amazing.

My mum and I cried throughout. I know many other parents did too. Our special children were up there, doing their best, and making everyone cheer, clap along, smile, and will them on.

J did need some direction at one point, when he had to pick up some chiffon type material that he had to waft around, but once the teacher came on and showed him, he took it up and was left to continue.
The children had no one to one support on the stage. I know the staff were just off in the wings ready to leap on and help if needed, but our children did it all by themselves. They were amazing. Brilliant. Inspiring.
The cheers from every person in there, the parents of children from different schools, were deafening. Our children had done it. My son had done it. That feeling of such awe and pride is still with me now.

The school that won the overall prize was well deserved. Our school won several smaller awards which were deserved. They were amazing.

The staff at J's school had dedicated a lot of their own time to bring this together. A fellow parent made the costumes - they were brilliant costumes, professional looking, and nothing like something I'd create with a tea towel and bed sheet - sewing is not a strong point for me!

I am hoping he will be able to participate with his new school next year. They entered the secondary school Rock Challenge two days before, and won several awards themselves.

If you want to find more out about the Rock Challenge you can click this link - Rock Challenge .
They are a national and international organisation.