Monday 26 August 2013

The Boy and his Rocking Chair

J has a new pastime which seems to calm him. He sits in his wooden rocking chair, which is by his bedroom window, pulls the net curtain to the side, and rocks away whilst looking at the cars driving past, the people ambling up and down the pavement, the trees, full of leaves, swishing in the breeze, and the occasional teenager on a moped speeding past, making more noise than a jumbo jet, but with the amount of power of a hairdryer.
He sits there for a good half an hour, just rocking back and forth, looking outside.
He even gets his 'sleepy' which is his word for his bed cover, and covers his lap over! He looks so lovely like that, albeit like an elderly man!
I bought the rocking chair a few years ago on eBay. I won it in an auction for 7.55 and it was local to me too. Such a bargain!

 
 
I wrote a while ago about the windows in his bedroom being tinted, so the light comes in, but people cannot see in very clearly.
When I had the windows double glazed a while back I asked if they could make his tinted, and they did, and not with those awful plastic sheets that you can buy online, that crinkle and bubble the second a centimetre of it touches a window pane, but a proper tinted window.

I had tried those tinted sheets prior to the double glazing, and despite reading so many negative reviews about them, I was desperate to obscure the view into his bedroom, mainly because of his propensity to wander naked around his room, after a bath or shower, and not understand that curtains should be closed, and definitely no lights should be on, making it more visible for outside to see in.

Once I had saved enough money I was able to double glaze the whole house, and gone were the draughty nights in winter, where the curtains would sway, and icicles grew on the inside of the glass!

So when he sits and rocks, and watches the world go by, I know our neighbours opposite won't think he is being a nosey Norman, as they won't be able to see him.

I first wrote about my tinted window idea here - Tinted Windows 6th May 2010
and then here - Windows 31st July 2010