Sunday 3 November 2013

Being a 'Special' Parent

A lady cashier that served me yesterday, asked me how my children were doing. I usually have at least one of them with me when I go to this shop, and she has seen them all at one time or another, and we have little chats as she serves me.
I didn't have any with me on this visit yesterday (thanks Mum for staying at home with them!), and so I mentioned J had been a little hyper due to the half term holiday from school. He needs his routine and the challenge of work to keep his brain calm.
She told me that she doesn't know how mum's like me keep so calm and happy, as she wouldn't be able to cope with a special needs child. She said she has so much admiration for us.
I have heard this before from people. And I've heard other special mum's tell the same story.
We always refute it and say it is just what we were dealt, and we learn to adapt to our new life.
 
What is true is this ;
 
I wouldn't be the strong person I am today, the advocator, the challenger, the supporter, and the voice of my son, if I hadn't been given J and his special needs. I would just be another mum that looked at special mums and told them I didn't know how they coped and stayed so strong.
When you are given a special child your world changes. You do what you have to do, for the rights of your child. When your child cannot communicate with words, you become their voice. It is just another facet of being a parent. It is what being a parent is about. We all have our challenges in life, and this is mine.