Monday 24 April 2017

Awarded Pupil Of The Term!

As I have written before, J is unable to communicate to me any feelings, emotions, likes and dislikes, news, or even just have a chat. It is guess work on my part, in trying to figure out what he wants, if he is in pain, if he has a problem etc.
I rely on a 'home - school' book which I or the teacher can write in, and pass messages between us or let each other know what J has been doing.
At the end of the school term a few weeks ago, J's school bag had a laminated A4 certificate inside. It had his photograph on, and the wording stated he was the 'Pupil of the Term' for his school. He also had a gift voucher as a prize.

I exclaimed out loud to him when I read it, and showed him his certificate. He looked nonplussed and walked away - just what I expected would happen. In his 'home - school' book, it told me that he had had a special assembly and he went up and received his prize and certificate in front of the whole school. I can envisage that he walked up, took it, and walked off again. It doesn't mean anything to him, but to me it proves what an amazing young man he is, and despite his brain functioning on a different level, he still strides ahead with his enigmatic personality and hard work.

The school is fairly large in scale of pupil population, and so this is something I am extremely proud of.
My Boy is a very underestimated, understated young man, and is so much more than just a label of autism or special needs.  He is a super star!