Sunday 2 April 2017

Journalism And Special Needs in 2017

Recently one of my children's schools were featured in a local newspaper article, and I proudly found the on line version, observing my son was a part of the photo they used.
Unfortunately my smile faded after reading the first paragraph, as the terminology used by the reporter was crude and outdated. The subsequent paragraphs failed to be anymore well written, and compounded my feeling that the reporter had no understanding about special needs, and equally important (for a writer) had little grasp on writing a sensitive and informative piece.

The print version of this article was written slightly differently, however the journalist still wrote with a naivety that harked back to an era where anyone who was slightly 'different' was ostracised from society, and called very inappropriate names.

The journalist was billed as a 'junior' which would lead you to believe that a senior reporter, and/or the editor would have (or rather should have) read through it, amended all of the poorly written, and quite frankly offensive terminology, and produced a highly polished piece, that was representative to the actual interview given to the reporter. Local newspaper, or national broadsheet, if you are seeking to have a career in journalism, you should write with knowledge and research, and not like a 13 year old from 1955.

I read, and re-read the article, and (as is usual for me) decided to do something about it. Yes I could have just brushed it aside, putting it down to me being over sensitive, but if, in 2017, articles like this can be approved for publication, how are we ever going to move forward in our fight to have people with a special need or disability accepted totally and without prejudice?

I emailed the Head of the school, explaining my sadness, and pointing out exactly what parts I found morally wrong. The Head of the school is highly pro-active and in touch with all of the students and their parents at school, and replied to me that evening. He took the reigns of this matter, and contacted the editor of the paper.
The Head also told me that the reporter had omitted most of the content from the interview he had taken with the school representative, which negated the purpose (in my opinion) of printing the article. The article (after hearing what was supposed to be written about) seemed even more badly cobbled together. How did this go unnoticed by the editor?

Within a few days I was forwarded an email, which came from the editor of the newspaper, which apologised about the content, the writing, and the out dated descriptions used by the journalist.

Very recently I was emailed again to link me to the completely re-written article which would remain in their on line pages. This time the article was sensitive, factual, and had no hint of an archaic attitude. The only copies of the original piece will be stored with people who have kept the newspaper.

I am glad I made the complaint. I could have been just another person who shrugs their shoulders and ignores, but that is not me. I have been a part of the special needs world for nearly 15 years, and I have seen the prejudice from society, heard the tutting, witnessed the staring and pointing, and been told in a variety of ways how bad a mother I am for having a child that just needs to have his disability slapped out of him.
We all need to continue to educate and inform those who have little experience of a disability, and continue to show that we are all human and we all deserve respect, compassion, kindness, love, and acceptance.

                                                                   Remember
                              Big waves always start from the smallest ripple.