Friday 5 May 2017

Police Officer Rescues Young Boy with Autism From Drowning

I viewed a recent video that has been made public, of a US Police Officer rescuing a young boy who has autism, from a pond.
As the footage is filmed from the bodycam the officer is wearing, it gives the viewer a real insight into the drama, and how his quick thinking saved this boy's life.
You can view the footage on social media sites and news outlets, and I'll also put a link here http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/police-officer-rescues-child-autism-pond-47170870


It was always a worry of mine - about water and my Boy. Before he developed his fear of the swimming pool (for which he has now overcome this thankfully -  he would scream and have a melt down if he even so much as passed by a swimming pool centre from the road side ), he had to be watched like a hawk.

One day we were invited to a family birthday party, and the person's house had a big pond in their garden.
As I had with me my (then) baby (he's now nearly 11), who was feeding every minute from me, and I was still sore from the birth, I was assured by a family member that they would watch him, and follow him around - I voiced my concerns about the pond quite effusively.
Unfortunately a short time lare I saw this family member chatting with a group of people, with my Boy nowhere near them.
I bundled my baby up, and wobbled and hobbled out to the garden, to find my Boy waist deep in the pond, and stuck.
Some other people came out to see what I was making a commotion about, and helped me to get him out.
He was fine, but cold and soaked through. He was fine, as I said, but what if? I don't ever want to imagine a bad outcome of that incident.

As the family party was moving on to a restaurant (another big no no of mine back then, as he found social situations like that very hard), the host offered to tumble dry his clothes, but there wasn't enough time to get them dry - they were soaking after all.
I wanted to go home,  but was made to feel guilty for wanting this, and ( this was before I became a lot more confident and forthright in myself) I was not someone that spoke out that much, so we went along.
It was a disaster.

Let's remember my Boy was in damp clothing, in a new setting, with a lot of strangers around. The restaurant was an average family place, not a high brow affair, so there were other children around.
It was awful though.
He wasn't loud and didn't have a meltdown, but he didn't want to sit down, he wanted to walk about our table area. This caused an older couple who were seated a good 20 feet away, to tut, catch my eye and then shake their heads. After about 5 minutes of this, I approached them and explained about J, and his special needs. It was one of the first times I was bold and brave - I was fuelled by the passion I had for protecting my Boy, and my need to correct these people who had categorised me into the role of a bad parent.
They were taken aback, but I didn't care. Their ignorance had stirred the fire inside me, and I wanted them to understand, and hopefully become less judgemental in future.

The food took ages to arrive, and when it did, it was not what I had ordered for my Boy.

I gave up.

I picked up my Boy, pushed the pram with my other hand, and walked out.

Not one family member was bothered by this. Sadly.

I got the boys into my car, and just as I was buckling myself in, one person from the party came out and opened the passenger door, sat down, and looked at me.

I began to cry. I cried so hard. I mumbled about how hard I was finding my life with a child with special needs. I sniffled about not coping, being useless, struggling to deal with my Boy's behaviours. This person listened and hugged me. That helped enormously. Just to have someone to unburden my troubles to, and who listened, and didn't offer a solution ( not that anyone could, as my Boy was the first family member to have a special need like this).

I resolved to myself on the long drive home ( 90 minute drive) that I would never allow myself to be coerced into going against my maternal instincts, I would not be pressured ever again to attend an event that was not suitable for my Boy, and I would not allow strangers to sit (or stand) and pass judgement upon me or my Boy.
I've stuck to that. I've been called stubborn. Bossy. But I don't care. The care and needs of my children come first.
Yes there has been the odd mutterings from certain people about my lack of attendance to places with my children, but they do not seem to care why. That is their loss. If they took the time to really get to know and understand J, they'd see him as I do - a happy chappy, who has grown into a tall, smiling, compliant young man. J is a credit to me, I am so proud of all he achieves.

In regards to the video, I have read some vicious comments directed towards the parents of this little boy, and as usual, they are arm chair detectives who pass comment on a situation for which they know nothing about the preceding events that led to this little boy getting into the pond, and into difficulties in it. Let us just be thankful that the boy was rescued so quickly.