Thursday 20 May 2010

Autistic Superstars BBC3

What a fabulous and inspiring programme.
The participants were amazing and their talents were tear inducing.
Reggie Yates, the presenter, had such warmth and affection towards these people and his relaxed approach to them all helped, I believe, in bringing their talents out in front of the live audience.
About half way through the programme I realised I was watching the show with a huge grin on my face. I was so proud of what I was witnessing.
I also loved to see the stars in their everyday lives. The young lady, Carly, made me smile with her impersonations and dramatic walking out of rooms. Such a beautiful character and an awesome voice!
The whizz on the piano, Derrick, is truly a dynamo with his skill and perception of music.
I could almost see Simon Cowell watching, little pound signs appearing in his eyes, at the image of teaming these great artists together on an album.

At the start of our journey into the world of autism, I was hit many times with the line " oh I wonder what talent J will have...most autistics are great artists, so maybe he'll be able to recreate great art masterpieces."
I never really thought much about whether he had a secret talent hidden away.
I think I focused on educating myself and helping to make our lives easier to live day to day.

J has never had an opportunity to play the piano properly. He and his brother have a huge electronic keyboard, but J is not keen on it and so I think I can safely say he is not the next Andre Previn.

Art wise, he will repetitively draw the same image, currently people. They change from stick drawings to more spirally bodies with proportionate heads. There are no intricate drawings of buildings just yet.