Saturday 15 May 2010

Babies

J loves babies.
He will lie next to W on our bed, and looks at his face close up.
He will point at W and say "baby" or his name.
When my friends were visiting our house last week, J kept on walking into the room and pointing at each baby with a smile on his face. He was trying to say their names too.

Now, I have to still be careful with him and W. I cannot leave him alone in the same room, for fear of him trying to pick him up.
I have seen how he picks up dollies, and I don't think W would be too impressed with being upside down, dangling by one leg, as he is prodded in the tummy, with J saying "baby" at him.

When J was four ( well he was three weeks off being four when O was born), his life changed from being the only child, to having to share attention and affection.
He was never nasty, and I don't believe he showed any signs of hidden upset which manifested in undesirable behaviours.

There are only two occasions that J caused a situation which ended up with a baby O crying and in distress.

The first was when O was around 4 weeks old. He was on our bed, fresh from a nappy change.
I had him in the centre of the bed as a precaution.
I had gone into the other bedroom to fetch something, and as I walked back down the hall I could see J pulling the duvet off of the bed, with a helpless O still within it.
I yelled out "no" but J was determined to yank this duvet off, and I just couldn't reach the bed in time to save O from landing on the floor.

The second event involved O, strapped into his bouncy chair.
Again, I had left the room to go to the kitchen to get a drink.
On walking back, down the hall, I saw J had un-clipped the straps.
This all occurred in slow motion to me, as I yelled "no", but J had sprung the chair as far back as he could, and then let go.
O went flying forward, like a baby bird being catapulted out of a nest, and landed with a thud, followed by ear piercing screams - his and mine.

O was very clingy to me for ages after those incidents and even ( in my opinion) had nightmares about it, even though he was a little baby, as he would cry so heart wrenching in his sleep.

J never understood how his actions could have had serious implications, and to him it was just a game.
As those two events are still very fresh in my mind, I will not allow it to happen again this time around.