Monday 10 May 2010

How much???

I was talking to my middle sons playgroup teacher the other day in regards to J and his needs.

She lent me a catalogue they buy from, which has a whole range of play equipment, toys and accessories for pre-school children.

A small section is dedicated to special needs toys.

But when looking at their prices I was gob smacked.

I am not talking a small mark up from regular toys, but a massive hike, likeable to a molehill versus Mount Everest.

How can companies be allowed to, in my opinion, make tremendous profits from people who need more help and support (both financial and practical)?It is like day light robbery.



One such toy,comprised of four 15x15 inch wooden flat squares, which had a different texture on each panel.

They were nothing special, but as I am now looking for visual aided toys for my youngest son (for which I will explain another time) they looked good.

Glancing my eyes over to the price I took a double take. They cost £299 for four squares.

£75 per square.

How is this possible? Are they weaved with 18k gold thread? Do they have a diamond encrusted border? Are they delivered by Robbie Williams, wearing a cheeky smile but nothing else?

Nope. They are made in China, for a fraction of the charge price, and these companies levy on a mark up of ridiculous percentages.



So, I have asked my uncle, who is a woodwork whizz, handy man and clever brainbox,to create me a similar product, but cheaper and more personalised. "No problem T" he said. I hope that will be the case!



.