Monday 10 May 2010

My mother in law

J adores her.
He has become very attached to her, but she lives in France.
When she visits, he is by her side,like a faithful dog, following her, looking to her for affection, and trying to initiate fun and games with a look ( as words elude him when requesting most things).

On her last few visits, she has worn a red coat. The material is soft and made to keep the rain out.
My mother in law is a petite woman, of around 5ft 2.
Her coat would be worn by J every minute of her visit, unless it was on her when out and about.

I was in hospital for 8 days in February having a very bad time of trying to have my third baby.
Thankfully, my mother in law, F, came over to help in the house and with the boys.

I had left a 5 page detailed information sheet for the husband, explaining how the house is run and the routines I have established for everyone and everything.

Without F being here, the sheets of info would have been left in a drawer, or expertly cut into strips by J.
As she became main carer and help to J, he became to depend on her, and she finally experienced the life of J, not just a five minute snapshot.
Their bond was formed and sealed and because of that, I now worry less about what would happen to J emotionally if I were to die.

J had terrible separation anxiety from me for many years. In part because I was the only one who understood him and let him be him.

When I finally escaped the maternity hospital, I came back to a calm, warm house, which was clean and tidy too!
J was bouncy and happy, and had not missed me one bit - very good on one hand and a little sad on the other.

I have made an 'action plan' many years ago which details facts about J, should the worst happen to me, but I always doubted he would ever be himself if I were to depart. Now however, I feel content in the knowledge he would cope and continue in his adventures and life of educating others in compassion and unconditional love.

Oh, and back to the red coat....

As J wore it so much, and would have slept in it given the choice, F gave it to him. It fits him perfectly too!