Friday 15 October 2010

I may be wrong here

The following is my opinion. I am basing my post on children like J - learning difficulties and autism.

I find it really sad when parents will not accept their child has special needs and stops them going to a special needs school.

I have seen on forum boards and in real life over the years many parents who send their child to mainstream, where they end up moaning about the way the teacher can not cope with their child, that their child is aggressive to other children, that their child is distressed et cetera.

Why oh why are they doing this to their child?

Denial?

Embarrassment?

Refusal to accept it?

I understand that some find it hard to get their child into a special school due to the local authority's lack of intervention, or the delay in Statementing.
But those that feel their own face should be saved by sending them to mainstream is so sad in my book.


I have seen first hand the amazing work special schools do.

The teachers, the LSAs, the receptionists, the dinner staff to name mostly are all geared for their job. They have a compassion and desire to make life fun, easier, interesting and safe for our special children. The classes are smaller, the ratio of teacher/LSA to child is greater (J is in a class of eight with one teacher and three LSAs) and the equipment is designed for special needs.



When we were at the start of the journey, when we knew he had autism but needed to be assessed for the year, the team we were under helped us to find the best school for him.
While we were waiting for the Statement of Special Needs to be completed he started as a 'nursery' pupil at his school, attending three days per week.
The part I had to complete for his Statement had me writing that at no point did I consider a mainstream school suitable and that if they tried to place him into one I would fight them through every tribunal available.
I was so anti-mainstream because it would have been J getting 'lost' amongst the noise, the crowds, the expectations of him socially.

Why would a parent prefer this for their child just so they can save face amongst family and friends?


I know I sound harsh but I thought every parent wanted the best for their child not their social standing.I only hope those in denial get a taste of reality, before their child becomes too traumatised by bullying, struggling socially, not learning (because the way education is taught between mainstream and special schools differs vastly) and emotional fall outs.