Sunday 17 October 2010

Little things

Isn't it funny how I celebrate such small achievments (in other peoples eyes) that J demonstrates, but to me they are huge.
I suppose because I have become accustomed to the fact that he will not be a rocket scientist, drive a car, marry or have children, I appreciate all the minors because they are more like the majors to me.

He gets spellings home now as homework. I held each word up to him and he proceeded to point to each letter, name it correctly, and then look to me to help him pronounce the word it spelt. The only word he was able to say correctly without any guidance was 'mum'. Now I know he has learnt this from memory, by which if he says or someone else says " M. U .M" he remembers it as a rote saying, ie; ' M U M mum'. He won't just say 'mum' if he sees the word with no verbal direction.
But, the fact he was happy for me to hold the cards up, he did'nt try to escape off to another activity, and he seemed to enjoy the interaction we had, along with getting all the letters correct, made it a very special moment.

I also am amazed at his computer skills.
He is like a whizz kid maneuvering the arrow around, double clicking, entering into programmes such as paint, and wow I let him on YouTube and I typed in Fimbles, and he knew how to access the videos, to exit them, and to enlarge the screen.
He loves YouTube now as he can view all the programmes he loves but which are not aired on television anymore.

I also tried him on eBay as I thought an experiement was in order.
You see we never really know what to buy him for presents. Yes we know his latest fad or fixation but he cannot tell me exactly the things he'd like.
So I typed in Fimbles, and he was in and out of the adverts, enlarging the pictures to see them better, and I could see what he was loving. He bypassed certain adverts so I took that as a no!
My test worked and he'll now get presents he really wants!