Sunday 10 October 2010

Wooden floors and kitchen rolls

Subject warning! Do not read when feeling ill or eating!





Well J has been up to his old trick of vomitting at will.
It could be from over eating or drinking, to coughing and coughing that he can do to induce the stomach to empty.
He quite enjoys it.
The only time he does'nt is when he is actually ill with a stomach virus as then his stomach is aching and contracting and the vomitting is not much fun.

I can always tell when he has a stomach virus rather than just his cough and sick game.

It may be a game to him, but my floors don't get off so lightly.
Thankfully I removed all but the stair and landing carpet in the house, so we have wooden floors every where else.
I came to the decision to remove the carpets through J and his sick.
When we moved to this new house the previous owner had had beautiful cream carpets down.
They stayed beautiful for all of 6 days after we moved in.
What with two labradors who think mud pools and ponds were made for their enjoyment and young children who prefer their crumbs to be ground down into the fibres, the carpets turned a rather sludgy colour and had a mixture of mud paw prints, spilled food and drink and splodges of vomit.

So, up came the carpet, and down went the flooring. Good hard wearing wooden flooring.

It makes for quick and easier cleaning of liquids. It does however show up the amount of fur my two dogs shed come summertime. I swear if I collected the fur up (that I was hoovering up twice a day during the height of the shedding) I could create a new fur coat for a modest sized doggy within a week.

I also spend a fortune on kitchen roll.

I do not like using mops and buckets to clean vomit as it tends to linger and give off that smell forever more. Plus hygenically speaking throw away cloths are better.

I can easily go through a roll a day on cleaning up spillages, food deposits and vomit.

J has some command that when going to vomit it is best (according to mummy telling him to) to go into the bathroom. As yet he has'nt worked out that when I tell him to do it in the toilet that I mean be sick and not sit down and try to wee.

So I spend ages cleaning up the sick from around the toilet bowl and floor.

I hope his new game lasts but a few more goes, if not at all. Wishfull thinking!