Wednesday 2 March 2011

The Shower Gel incident

I bought some Original Source Lime Shower Gel a few weeks back.
I had used it a couple times and as J is a serial squeezer of all tubes and bottles containing gloopy subtances I had hidden it high up in the bathroom, behind objects.
So I spy it the other day and get it down to use.
I notice the bottle is quite swollen, almost bursting.
I then notice there is a brown tinge running along one side of the bottle, on the inside of it, within the green gel.
I decide to put it in the bin and presume it has a preservative problem which has gone off.
Later that day I can smell lime quite strongly in the house.
I go into the bathroom and see that there is gel all over the floor and fish the bottle out of the bin.
The lid has come off with the force of the content pressure which was making the bottle bulge.
I pick the bottle up and as it is now transparent due to all the green lime gel being over my floor, I notice something very odd inside.
Very odd indeed.
It was an AA battery.
So, it had leaked acid into the gel which in turn made it explode.

But how had it got there? Was it a factory fault?
Well, I checked the battery out and it is the same brand that I have used recently in the house.

So I can only presume that J took it upon himself to open the main lid up, insert the battery, close the lid and put it back in its hiding place.

I am just glad I noticed the changes in the bottle as I am not sure if it would have burnt my skin on contact.

Oh the mysterious world he lives in. Why a battery inside a shower gel? One day it may become clear.