Thursday 3 March 2011

Inherited Autism?

With the many research institutes trying to find the cause and the cure to autism I have looked back into my family history.

There are always tales from Grandparents of 'Great Uncle So and So' who was 'eccentric' and a little 'odd' within most families. But for most of us, having never met Uncle So and So we can only go on what we are told and make our own minds up.

My own Grandfather (1929-2007) was always a little bit auty. Not that I knew that at the time. No, it's only since my journey on the autism highway have I begun to see traits within him which are synonymous with high functioning autism or Aspergers. I grew up living in his house with him, my grandma and my mum.

He had written records (all his own writing) recorded in hard backed lined exercise books of every Premier Football match score result. I mean every single one. Every single week it was on. He had stacks of these books stored away in his attic. He had done this for years and years and years.
Now this may just have been a hobby. A very keen hobby. So let me tell you some more....

He loved numbers. He loved manipulating them. He loved problem solving equations.
To him numbers were fun and made sense. He gained a lot of enjoyment through his numbers.

He was a very family orientated man. He preferred the company of himself or his close family to friends and aquaintences.
He was very quiet in social settings almost looking uncomfortable and out of place.
He often said he let his wife do the talking for him.

Some would say he did'nt think before he spoke a lot of the time. He could say something quite hurtful but without actually meaning to be hurtful. He either just said the truth without sugar coating it or just forgot to think about what he was about to say. I received a few of these hurtful things (which I knew was his mouth running away with him rather than spite), one of which was to do with my  being unmarried when I fell pregnant with J. I did subsequently marry when seven months pregnant with J, but not due to the comment he passed over to me.

He liked routine and order in his life. If it veered off slightly he could become antsy and miserable.

Now with all of what I have written I have not come to the best part of him. His loyalty and love for his family. He worked damn hard throughout his life (as an accountant - see numbers again!) and always made sure his wife and children where provided with anything they needed.
He secretly donated money every year to charities ( quite large sums) and never wanted people to know - I only found out after his death.
He gave lump sums of money to each of us every year.
He found it hard to express himself and his feelings in a verbal way and so the monetary method seemed to work for him (but do not take that as him buying affection  please).

I do believe he was on the Spectrum from my evaluation and am glad he had a happy fulfilled life.