Saturday 23 April 2011

Wasting money

As I am now involved with more services in our area because of my youngest and his Nystagmus I have begun to see how much money is spent,and wasted, in resources which employ people to provide a service, a service which has little impact for the majority and is also a huge waste, when so many other more important services are being cut back or scrapped altogether.
Along the way with W, my youngest, we were referred by the paediatrician to a service which I was told provides help and support to children with a sight problem.
I was contacted within a few weeks by this service and a woman came out to visit at our house.
Our whole meeting was a very start stop affair. She handed me a leaflet on Nystagmus. I said as we had had the diagnosis months ago I already knew about it. The leaflet was a folded A4 piece of paper, so nothing very much more than a general outline of Nystagmus.
She then told me there was a group of mums that met up every two weeks and rotated it in each others houses. And then she said "oh but they have now changed that to every six weeks and not at houses anymore, just outdoor places such as the zoo or the theme park." So really this was an expensive meet up with other mums, in a place where I could'nt ask questions and sit and relax a little, more so chase a baby round and get bored having no-one to talk to as they were off chasing their children, but have to pay for the privilege.
Then she told me about the toy library. And wait for it - "oh but it closed a few weeks ago."
Then she told me about a teenage girl of thirteen who lived up the road. She had Nystagmus, but she also has a few major disabilities which are more of the issue with her. She wanted to get this girl to come to my house and visit me.
And finally when I asked what actual service does she provide apart from handing me information on things that have become obsolete  she said she could come to our house when he is eight years old and teach him to make a sandwhich. Yes, that's right. She would be paid to come to my house and show my son how to make a sandwhich. Of course I am far too lazy to do that myself.
Her team is made up of three people. So three people are paid to hand out this information and provide this service, but closing down vital Sure Start centres which are accessed by the whole community and provide information (up to date and not like this service) is deemed okay.
I know there are many parent focused groups out there, groups that are formed to source ideas and present to councils. But really, how much do councils take on board? Would they be bothered that so much money is being thrown at this service when it is not really providing much?
So all this woman offered me in the end was this teenager coming to my house. To be honest I felt very uncomfortable about it. I could explain and give reasons here if you find this odd, but I don't feel I have to justify myself in my own blog.
The woman called several times trying to arrange it with me until finally I plucked up the courage and told her that I felt uncomfortable with this. She became a little offish and then said "okay I shall close his file then" and hung up!
Waste of money. Waste of resources. Another council run service that misses the point of their existence. A meet up, run by this service, and held at the same council run place, every week/fortnightly would surely be better? Information leaflets made available to take home. Sharing stories and ideas with other mums. A place to feel secure in. How do they get it so wrong?