Sunday 14 April 2013

Toilet Training a child with certain Special Needs

It took a long time to toilet train J. Due to his lack of communication, language, and understanding, he was around 5 years old when he finally accepted the toilet and used it for urination.

I did write a blog post about it here, so I won't go over how he finally just took to it.

As you can see from that post, opening his bowels was a whole different saga. I look back and wonder if my recent find pictured below would have been a bigger help.

With my youngest son, W, who has vision impairment, he too was scared of the toilet, more so because he couldn't 'see' it. Some parents transition their child from nappy to potty, but my preference is to teach the toilet habits and cut out the potty.
There are plenty of seat covers for children, that provide a safer seating experience, and there are also step stools for them to use.
My worry was, that the step stools were not very stable, and if he missed his footing he could fall - albeit not very far, but I was trying to minimise the fear factor for him, and did not want any avoidable

                            I came across this three in one seat, made by Keter.

 
It was easy to assemble - I am not a DIYer - and W was so excited about using it.
It provides him with handles to hold onto when climbing up or down, a secure step for resting his feet on, and a comfortable seat, that does not wobble about.
It's so easy to use that W is able to open and close it - it folds flat - and position it onto the adult seat.
I highly recommend this training seat. I bought mine from Argos for £16.99.
 
This link will take you to the Keter website - toilet-trainer