Saturday 25 May 2013

Sleep and the Full Moon

There is a strange noise surrounding the UK tonight. It's kind of a humming, buzzing, flapping, screeching, laughing, fidgeting noise.
The cause? The Full Moon.
If I didn't have a Moon calendar on my iPhone app, which alerts me to the stages of the Moon, I would still be able to tell - and no, not by looking up at the night sky!



A day or so before, the Boys become a lot more restless, with more unsettled behaviours. J is the worst affected, and it almost seems to 'hurt' him, by the expressions he shows. 
He also gets easily distressed over minor things that on a day with no Full Moon, he would let it pass him fairly quickly.
He has had some melatonin tonight to help relax him and enable him to sleep.
I can still vividly recall life before melatonin.
I have written about my battle to get it prescribed here in the UK, as it is not available in shops, unlike in the US.
On a Full Moon prior to melatonin, J would be up until around 1 - 2am, pacing, head banging, using repetitive phrases, trying to break things, hitting himself..... It was awful to see him going through it.
He would make a low groaning kind of noise as he head banged against the skirting board ( whilst lying on the top step of the staircase.)
At least now I can administer him something that gives him the boost he needs to get off to sleep.

He's all wrapped up inside his bed cover. He folds it around himself, cocooning his body securely. He even covers his head - I couldn't get to sleep or stay asleep like that, but he prefers it. He feels enveloped I suppose, and his body supported. 
I have been told about 'weighted blankets', that some children and adults with autism like to use. They are so expensive though.



One day I will purchase him one, as I believe he will gain a lot of sensory pleasure from it, and it may help him feel even more secure.
I continue to try to do my best for him, as his world, to me, seems very scary and lonely, and despite him not being able to communicate to me his feelings ( apart from me knowing by his noises if he is happy/sad/in pain etc), I want him to always feel I will understand him and help him.