Saturday 1 June 2013

J's 11th Birthday

My boy J had a fantastic 11th birthday the other day.

        Chocolate and strawberry cake
          was a big hit for all the boys


Celebrations such as birthdays and Christmas pass him by without a care.
He has no cognitive understanding of these events at all.
This fact used to be hard for me.
He has no excitement or thrill in the lead up to his birthday. 

Presents are very hard to pick for him, as he has no interest in current trends. I scour eBay for a lot of things, as he prefers programmes from the 90's, and there is always someone, somewhere, selling something to do with his passion.

This birthday, I bought him a sand pit for the garden. He took his shoes off and sat straight down inside it. 


     Shell shaped double sand pit
    has been his favourite present.
     You can see the sand is not
     just staying in the shell!


It has been a big winner with all three boys. My house has sand everywhere now though, traipsed in by foot and by paw, but that's nothing my vacuum cannot handle, and the fun they are having with the sand pit makes the thrice vacuuming a day worth it.

Eleven years ago I was not the person I am today. I believe J has been the making of me. A more confident person, with a spirit to make the world a more accepting place for special needs.