Sunday 7 July 2013

Carbon Copy Drawings from the Autistic Mind

J has been producing dot patterned pictures for quite some time. I noticed that he would finish one piece of paper, and then move straight on to another clean sheet, and draw the dots on nearly the exact same locations.
 
I collected up various sheets lying around the house, and decided to photograph them, to see if they really were nearly carbon copies of each other.
Instead of posting a tonne of pictures up here, I have shown one example. Each piece is separate, and was drawn at different times.
 
I had to invert the colours to be able to show the dots more closely, as he uses very light pen marks to do it, and with my camera, they were not showing up at all well.
 Despite me doing that, a fair few of the dots are not showing up, but this does give the gist of what he is doing.
 

These dot designs are a near daily activity for J. When he is in the middle of one, he is so swift with the pen. I am fascinated by his almost photographic memory of where the dots go, and how many in each area.
 
It's just another marvel in the autistic world, and I'm glad I can document it, so I can look back and be reminded of all his lovely quirks.