Monday 24 March 2014

That 'R' Word

What is it about the word 'retard'? Why do I get angry when it is used by people that understand its meaning, its context, and the way it can offend people?
Would I be so anti the word if I wasn't mum to a special needs child (or two for the record)?
Would I have it within my regular grammar and use it when I felt like it?
I am pretty sure I would still find it one of those words that I wouldn't feel comfortable using.

I have been viewing several videos on YouTube today, many made by everyday folk, highlighting why they find the word offensive and hurtful. Then there was the Penn Jillette video that he had made for YouTube, under his online recording of 'Penn Point'. I would have linked his video, but it does warn about strong language, and right from the start he uses swear words, and I do not link to videos like this - you can find it easily on YouTube if you wish.

Penn talks about the R word and Jennifer Aniston's use of it during an interview. Penn states "he doesn't care about this kind of news story, and he doesn't care about Jennifer Aniston".
He claims the word 'idiot' was actually used before the R word, and to which apparently the R word is the 'nicer' version of idiot. He uses the term"hyperbolic" (exaggerated)  a lot. And if you can stand the continual flicking between his ramblings and his advertising of several products, you can see he is making his point of view quite coherent. However what does irk me a little is his reference to not using the R word in the context of being offensive because - "he and his wife are involved with a charity in Vegas that helps people with all sorts of problems". It reminds me of people that spout off xenophobic or racist remarks and then claim they are not either of those as they have a friend that is X, Y or Z.

I have watched the Jennifer Aniston video of her using the R word, and she does just throw it into her sentence as if she uses it daily within conversations. There was no pause in her speech, which would have suggested she stopped to think about a relevant word to be descriptive. Instead it just flowed freely, which clearly defines it as a regular word within her vocabulary.
This is the link - Jennifer Aniston R Word

Then there are several videos which have children and adults in, talking about their opinion of the word.
Here are a selection I found interesting, informative and emotive -
For Brooke-End the Word
End the R Word
I am a Person
Spread the Word

I would be interested to hear if people (after reading and watching the true face of the R word, and the real life effect it can have) who do not find the word offensive, and either want to 'normalize' its use within the English language, or just find it acceptable, still stand firmly by their own conviction that the R word is fine, and that people that find it offensive are just being overly sensitive.
It will remain an emotive subject for many, and will not be something that can change overnight.
However, the more people begin to use it less, the less people will hear it and pass it on, and maybe one day it will have been phased out - and then most probably be replaced by another equally emotive word (such is our world).