Friday 12 May 2017

A Chicken Stir Fry First!

A major and rather unexpected thing happened last night.
I cooked a chicken stir fry, with lots of veg, noodles, and sauce, whilst being watched by J, and when I began to dish it up on to my plate, J asked for some - "J chicken, yes", so I asked him to get me another plate, which he did.
I put two slotted spoonfuls of stir fry on to his plate, and put the spoon back into the pan. J picked the spoon up and proceeded to load more stir fry on to his plate.
I was dubious as to whether he would take one mouthful and then tip it on to the floor for the dogs to devour, and so I watched him.

J doesn't sit at the table to eat, he never has done. He hates it. He does sit happily at a restaurant table, as he has learned to behave in a sociable manner in those kind of places. Plus he knows food is served at the table in restaurants, so if he were to vacate and wander off, he (in his head thinking) could be missing out on major food consumption!

J put his plate on to the buffet bar cabinet ( a very heavy solid oak type of sideboard), which is along the wall in the dining room. I have a 'hatch' in the wall between the kitchen and dining room, and so I can see right in to the dining room from the kitchen, and vice versa. I peaked through, and he shovelled the first mouthful in. This was quickly followed by a second and a third mouthful. He loved it.
As quick as anything he was back in the kitchen and helping himself to more stir fry from the pan. He helped himself to all of it. Not one noodle or piece of shredded vegetable was left.

I sat down with my plate in mild, happy shock.

J ate all of this within a few minutes. He does not waste time when it comes to eating food he likes. There is no mid chat between bites. There is barely time for him to breath I think.

There was no left overs for the dogs either - poor things!


My labradors (same litter brothers, above in photo) have always behaved as if they are one meal away from starvation, despite being fed their main meals by myself, treats of doggy biscuits, and snuffling their noses at every little crumb that is dropped by the boys, and so they were highly despondent at not having the option to have leftovers scraped into their bowls. A treat of their favourite biscuits soon eased their trauma!