Saturday 16 June 2018

Encouraging Their Dreams And An Inspiring Graduation Speech From Sef Scott

I have always championed my children to try their best, and not to give up, or give in. My youngest son, who is 8, and has a visual impairment, mild speech impediment, and potentially a mild processing disorder (he can forget things quite quickly, if he's given too much information at once), wants to be a fire fighter when he's grown up. At the moment, I am not telling him that he will not be able to drive when he's an adult (his VI is too severe ), as I feel he is too young to comprehend this, and I do not want to hinder his enthusiasm for life. However, I will encourage and support him to fulfil his dreams - he can still work within the fire brigade, just not at the front line. In fact, he could do almost anything, with the right adaptions (large print), and there is no reason he shouldn't work hard to attain his chosen career.
It may appear that his disabilities will hinder him, but he is receiving an amazing education from his school, and they are unlocking his potential, and so I remain positive that he will continue to develop and learn. 

As for J, his work choices are a lot more limited, but they are not diminished. J can follow guidance, and is methodical in his approach. He gains a lot of pleasure from the outdoors, as do I, and what can seem boring tasks for another person, J enjoys - examples being - he loves sweeping leaves ( "sweeping de leaves" as he calls it) , pruning bushes (with adult supervision - I've taught him how to do it safely), and I will be teaching him how to mow the lawn (we have a petrol mower, which means no danger of electric shocks from cutting the wire). 

J is very strong and tall, so he can touch the ceiling, without needing a step ladder or stool. He can reach objects high up, which is very handy, but also means I have to find more ingenious hiding places for things I don't want him to have! He can lift and carry things, and follows basic instructions of where to take them. 

J will be starting college in a few months time, and thankfully he has been placed at the outdoor learning unit, which is based at a small farm. This, I am hoping, will bring about more opportunities for him to do the things he loves, and learn more, and potentially find a little part time work / voluntary work,  that he can continue with when he leaves. 



Finally, I want to share with you an amazing, uplifting, and inspiring 6 minute video, from a graduation student at Plano Senior High School, Texas, that I watched. 


Sef Scott
Plano Senior High School
2018


The student's name is Sef Scott, and he has autism. His graduation speech is wonderful, and I highly recommend that you watch it. I hope his words make an impact on the world, and inspire others to follow their own path, and work for their dreams. 

You can view the video here ( Plano Senior High School, 2018)