Sunday 8 July 2018

Leaving School For College

The day arrived. 
One I had never believed would come around as quickly as it did. 
My Boy had finished school. For good. He is off to college. 
How did this happen so fast? Where is my little boy who looked so small and innocent in his new school uniform, not wanting to look at the camera and smile, all those years ago?

We all know (and hope for) these milestones to happen, some of us wish for them sooner than others, but nothing can prepare you for the emotions you experience around your child being at the end of their schooling. The cocoon of a special needs school. The warmth. The acceptance and understanding. 

The big wide world is out there, and whereas other children who have completed their exams, are now off celebrating with their friends and enjoying the freedom, my Boy doesn't feel any relief, or sadness. He doesn't want to go off with his friends, and attempt to buy alcohol and impress the girls, or boys.

J's school had a whole week of celebrating the end of school for Year 11's. Each day they went somewhere exciting and fun. A big theme park, a BBQ in the forest, trips out, and a Prom. 
The Prom didn't hold any excitement for J.
He wasn't aware of what it was, or when it was happening.
I had chosen a lovely pale (olive?) green, short sleeved shirt, and some smart black trousers for him to wear. 
As with a lot of new clothing, J tried it on, and then promptly hid it, which is his way of telling me that he does NOT want to wear it! 
So, five minutes before leaving the house, I encouraged him to get dressed into the clothes, and he had no choice about changing out of them, as he knew he had to get into the car.
On the drive there, he was repeating, "hello Prom", as I had told him that was where we were going. 
It was only half way there that it dawned on me - he doesn't know what a Prom is. He may well be saying "hello Prom", but it could be anything. I could be taking him to a new shop, or meeting a person called Prom.
So I said, "J's going to a party!". He understood this, as he repeated the word "party" back to me, and then said "cake, blow out the candles".

The Prom was lovely. Very lively, with the children dressed up beautifully. A lot of the staff where there, not just the teachers from the Year 11 classes. 
All of the children were accompanied by their parent/s or carer, which in the eyes of a lot of Proms isn't much fun, but the children needed a little help with certain things, and it made it easier to keep everyone happy, and enjoying themselves.


J sat outside, enjoying the sunshine, at his Prom.


After an hour, J had had enough. We had posed for the obligatory photos, drank some cola, nibbled on the buffet, and worked our way around the staff to thank them for all their dedication into J's life at his school. 
We left early, but it was the right time to leave for J.
The second we stepped through the front door at home, he stripped off, and got dressed back into his usual clothes!

In the morning I was sent a link to our local newspaper, and in the side bar, with the heading of J's school Prom, was a photo of J! I was overjoyed, but also shed some tears (I'm a wuss when it comes to the pride I feel about my boys and their achievements). 
Out of all the wonderfully dressed children, my Boy was chosen to be the lead photo. I had worried that he wasn't as smartly dressed as the others, but knew that he would not have tolerated a suit, a tie, a bow-tie, or anything 'jazzy'. 

That morning was also J's 'Leaver's Assembly', and it was very hard to not cry (I'm not one for public displays of crying). 
On a huge projector screen, in front of all the parents, school leavers, staff, and a few other classes from the Year below, we were shown photos of our children, right from their first year at that school, all the way through to now. I could see a lot of tissues being dabbed around eyes, whilst I determinedly blinked mine back.
It was beginning to 'hit' a lot of us - realising that our 'babies' were all grown up, and how much they have grown and developed over the last five years.

Each child was called up to the front, where the Head Teacher presented them with a 'Record of Achievement' book (it contains all their certificates over the last five years), a huge wooden framed photo of all the Leavers, and an A4 booklet which had a lot of their photos in, as groups. 

When J was called up, he didn't turn around to face the audience (some students didn't want to). 
After being presented with the above, the Head proceeded to tell everyone how much J has grown at school. He said he'd never forget J's turn as the Giant, in Jack and the Beanstalk (where he put a very funny spin on the "fee fi fo fum" speech, and made everyone laugh), and I could see both children and adults laugh at this, recalling this from the Christmas concert last year!)
He described J as a 'gentle giant', who doesn't like large crowds, needs his space, but is kind, helpful, and a comedian in his own way. 
As the Head was about to tell everyone where J is going off to college, J walked off, back to his seat, which again had people laughing, as the Head said, "well J has obviously had enough of me talking!" 
My Boy can make people laugh just by being himself. Whereas we would be polite, and wait, J thinks to himself, "I've had enough, I'm off". He's honest at least!

As the cliche goes, it's the end of an era. 
We are moving rapidly towards the end of his education completely, and that is where my worries about what he will do, where will he go for stimulation and entertainment? A day centre once a week isn't going to keep him occupied and active. I know I will be proactive and search out what there is for him when the time comes, and I can only hope there will be something suitable.