Sunday 15 July 2018

A Major Decision Decided In Secret

Throughout the UK, most, if not all local councils, offer a transport solution for children that attend a special needs school. These vary from council to council, but most are either a taxi cab, or a larger 8 seat van, with some being modified to transport children who use wheelchairs, or have mobility needs.

Quite by chance, I was visiting my local council office to discuss my youngest child's EHCP (Education, Health, Care Plan - formerly a 'Statement of Special Needs'). 
As I sat in the plush lobby, with a lot of very important looking people hustling and bustling past with their lanyard identification cards dangling from their necks, I noticed a small screen TV, mounted high up, away from the main seating area, which displayed in a sequenced rotation, information about the local council and their plans. 
As I was sat, with time on my hands, as my appointment time had already overrun its scheduled start, I casually gave this TV glances every so often. It was on one of these brief glances that I saw something about a consultation around Post 16 transport. Post 16 means any child that is going to college, and who has an EHCP in place. 
The rotation continued onto the next piece, and so I sat waiting for it to come back around. I took my phone out and prepared it for the camera, so I could take a photo of the screen, to allow me time to then read what it was stating. 
Luckily, as my appointment was still running late, I managed to capture a photo. 

The information on the screen told me that the consultation would end in two days time. I had not been made aware via mail, email, telephone, or any other means, about this. I made some enquiries, and discovered that those that would be directly affected by their proposals, had not been contacted at all, and very little had been done to publicise it all.
I have the feeling that despite formal consultations being there for people who may be affected by certain proposals, and allowing for opinions, views and debates, there is a tendency to keep them as closed and as secret as possible. Is this democratic? Does this reflect their values of giving vulnerable people of society a voice? 

That evening I duly completed the online form, giving my opinions, but feeling that despite opposition to their proposals, it would be futile. 

In the details about the time frame for their decision, it was clearly stated they had to legally publish the results before a set date. This date came and went, and upon calling up to speak to someone, I was told that they were still debating the issue. They had 10 weeks from the close of the consultation to make this decision, and it took a further 4 weeks until they had an answer. 

This then impacted on any applications for Post 16 transport requests, and yet again, a further 'exceptional circumstances' required form was required, but was not forthcoming, and the closing date for this was a mere few days away. 
I can be cynical at times, and it appears to me that as many obstacles, delays, and assurances were used to pass this new rule, and to hinder those that potentially could qualify. 
For those that do 'qualify' for transport, there is a cost, which is a block amount for set miles, and increases with each mileage band. The cost can be over £1300, which is demanded up front, with no option to pay monthly. 

I have begun to hear from other parents that they have been refused their new transport request, with reasons being given such as - 'the child's college choice isn't the closest to their home'. 
What needs to be remembered is that these children have special needs, and therefore their closest college may not have the additional support and guidance, and even courses that these children can receive. They have chosen a college that fits their needs, but this is not considered by those in power. 

It has been suggested by those that oversee the transport that J should receive a concessional bus pass, and he should get to his college via bus. Considering it further, J still has very little road sense, and would not understand about delays, different buses for different routes, and would more than likely be vulnerable to abuse from strangers for his 'weird' noises and behaviours. He could even get off at any stop, see a shop, walk in, and take some food or drink and walk back out again. He's not competent in making his own way to college, and needs to have transport fit for his needs. 
I will also quash the option of him being transported by myself every day, as I have another school run that is in the opposite direction to his college, and I cannot be in two places at once. The other school run child is too young to make their own way to school, as they'd have to use two buses and a train to get to their school, and have a long walk along a dangerously fast road (which doesn't have any barrier between road and pavement). 

I will find out shortly if J qualifies for transport, and I'm prepared for the struggle to appeal their decision. I am keeping some hope that it will be good news, and am keeping in mind that I will have to telephone them to ensure nothing has happened to his application, or decision, such as being 'mislaid'.