Friday 11 June 2010

His first interaction

The other day, J and O finally had a verbal interaction both ways and I was so proud of them. I had tears in my eyes at hearing and seeing them together.
J had created yet another magnetic drawing and it had several people drawn on it.
O had obviously seen me asking J before who each person was (from previous drawings he had created, not this one) and J responded to him.
It went a little like this..

O - "who's this J?"
J - "mummy"
O - "and this J?"
J - "granny"
O - "which doggy J?"
J - "Max"
O - "who's this J?"
J - "baby"
O - "well done J!"

Such a simple conversation, but so special and a first. Even O was taken back by the response as he is used to being ignored by J.

O is having difficulty in understanding why J is like he is. I don't use the word 'special' as it would indicate that J is better than him (in my opinion), so I say he is different. I try to explain that J does'nt understand many things and cannot talk well, but it is a lot for a four year old to understand.