Saturday 19 June 2010

Something so simple


Last week I took J to his school at the weekend as they hold a 'stay and play fun session'. It was the first time I had taken him, as it is run at the same time and day as his regular weekly session at the local Mencap centre, and as he loves going to the Mencap session I have never felt the need to change the routine.
However, certain issues have arisen, and I am worried that these sessions will become less available, more exclusive and perhaps even stop.
So, I felt the need for us to explore what the schools one had to offer, and whether J would enjoy it.
The plus points of going to the school are that it is very close, O is allowed to stay, and I can sit with other mums and have a chat.


J found it a little odd that I was staying though. He kept on saying "bye mummy", as he recognises it is his school, and I always just drop him off.
O loved the fact he could (finally) get a go on the playground equipment. Ever since last years fayre he has been asking to go into the playground, and now he was allowed with open access.


J was in his element as the snack tray was piled high with mini packets of biscuits. This was like a feast of excellent proportions and he was willing to go the distance and eat his way through all of them. I stopped him at the second packet, but his eyes were darting back over to them as they enticed him ever more.
I was side tracked by O and an aquarium of fish when I was informed that J was managing to make his way impressively through the remaining packets.
I rushed in and found him with a little pile of biscuits, an assortment of empty packets discarded to the side, a t shirt littered with crumbs and a mouth packed so tightly he just looked up at me with pleading eyes, begging me not to ruin his cookie conquest.
I think if he could express himself he would list that as a favourite pastime and would be very happy to repeat it the next week.

In the school gym there was a red plastic cone shaped toy which is large enough for a child to sit inside and roll from side to side. J spent a considerable amount of time in this and seemed quite calm and at peace.
I enquired as to what it was called and a catalogue for school play equipment was produced. It is called, simply, a 'giant top'.

Back at home I Googled this. Unfortunately, 'giant top' produces an assortment of items, none of which have anything to do with what I am looking for.
So, I extend the search, adding words, and finally I stumble across one solitary link to a website that sells play equipment.
It is around £40 to buy and is exactly the same as the school one.
I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived on the Friday. As soon as J came home from school he dropped his school bags,took his shoes off, and went straight to it, climbed inside and rocked back and forth with a huge smile on his face.

He has spent most of the time playing in it and I have allowed him to move it round the house, so he can have it in the garden, the play room or his bedroom.
The design of this giant top is simple, but the pleasure derived from it is incredible.

I highly recommend it to parents, if you have the space (it is quite large, but not heavy) and hope he has many years of play from it. O takes a turn every now and then but it is J who is benefiting most, and that makes me happy.