Tuesday 18 January 2011

Mirror Man

J loves mirrors and surfaces that reflect.
I catch him admiring himself, posing, turning his head from side to side and pulling funny faces.
He loves to use my Iphone and take hundreds of photos of himself, doing the same pose, and all within the space of a few minutes. His latest pose for the camera is with his foot up towards the lens and his hand over his mouth, in a kind of 'gasp' expression.
I find my camera roll filled with these images, or of the back of the dogs collars.

Not quite sure it will make him money from those arty galleries, but then again a dead sheep pickled in formaldehyde, or someones dirty knickers left on a mock bedroom floor is'nt what I would call art, let alone pay for the privilege to see in person.

J has a penchant for wearing visiting peoples coats and shoes (if they have taken them off). He is quite the picture in a pink fluffy mac and court shoes. You will catch him posing in front of the lounge mirror, admiring himself in the new outfit.
If the visitor kept their shoes on J used to lie on the floor next to their feet and stroke and touch the pattern or the fabric. He once went loopy for this health visitors sequin encrusted ballet pumps, and after me trying to reassure her that he was harmless and just loved the colours and sparkle, I could see she was perturbed and so I battled in trying to keep him away from her, whilst holding a (then) baby O and chatting about his develpoment.

When he was younger he had a toy pushchair. He would don his builder hard hat, take my hand bag and sling it over his shoulder, take the pushchair into the garden, and pose with one foot resting in the seat part of the pushchair and stand there, sometimes looking at his reflection in the patio doors. He performed this ritual daily for quite some time.

I suppose there is one positive for J not understanding life and social expectations and that is that he won't become embarrassed by my stories of his antics or photos of him in these unusual poses.