Friday 9 March 2012

The Singing Autistic

I have blogged before about J and his ability to time perfectly his 'words' along to his songs he sings - songs which for many I have no idea what they are, where they have come from or the meaning - but for which he repeats them in his garbled manner exactly the same, time and time and again.

The one event that sticks in my mind is when he recorded himself on my Iphone camera singing a Bear in the Big Blue house song 'Co-operation', and for the most it was garbled, but it did have tune, and he had all the "mmm mmmm" bits in the same place that Bear sings them. I caught him in the garden pacing up and down listening to his recording back and also singing along to it, and every word and "mmm mmmm" was timed to perfection together.
This is the original blog post from April 2011 - Sing-Along-A-Song Blog Post

This story I read today is lovely and is about a young adult male, Kyle Coleman, who has few verbal words, but has been discovered to have an amazing singing voice.

Kyle Coleman Autistic Singing Link - Daily Mail (opens in new window)

I have enquired at J's school about an after school club that is for singing and dancing as a lot of the children love to do both, but I was told it was not feasible.
J loves to sing and I still sing a part of a song and then stop, for him to fill in the blank, as I was taught to do right at the start of our journey into autism by the assessment centre we attended for a year, and for which they even video taped me doing so with him as a part of the assessment - highly embarrassing!

We sing on a daily basis as I am sure most families with young children and children with special needs do, as it is lifting, bonding and fun to do. J and the toddler, W, are on the same page for songs, such as Head,Shoulders,Knees and Toes and Old McDonald, but O, the 5 year old is slightly more mature in his choices and we have a lot of copying from the radio and my CD's now, with "What's the colour of money" (Hollywood Beyond) (Link here) being his favourite to sing along to! I must admit I love it too so we do sing it together.