Thursday 15 November 2012

Blackberry Farm and tonnes of fun for our family

We were at a family friendly farm the other weekend, and one I highly recommend for all families, especially those with children who have learning diffculties, who love animals.
It is called Blackberry Farm, and is in Sussex.
There are goats,pigs, chickens, and ducks that you can feed (feed provided by the farm), ponies you can have a child ride on, a tractor ride around the farm, a small critter barn where there are guinea pigs, rabbits, chinchillas, rats, hamsters and a lovely parrot that enjoys being hand fed treats.
Aside from the animals there is a huge play area, for all child ages and abilities.
A giant 'pillow' that can have around 20-30 children jumping on. It is like a bouncy castle, but minus the sides, and it is shaped like a pillow, funnily enough.
Three enclosed circular trampolines, various climing apparatus, a sand area, a dedicated toddler area, a large wavy slide and a tunnel slide (the ones you need to sit on a mat and slide down on), a zip wire, a go-kart track, an inside soft play (two tier) gym, and a fully stocked cafe/shop.
For a fairly small entrance fee, this place is excellent value for money, and unlike a few other places we have visited, you do not pay any more for the play equipment or go-karts.

J wandered freely around the grassy tracks, stopping to lean on a picket fence and gaze at the trees.
He was not interested in feeding the animals, and was happy to let his brothers use all the feed up.
As the farm is housed on quite extensive fields, there is no squashing or clamouring against other visitors.
The only down side is the seasonal weather. The grassy paths become mud bogs with the rain. This then cuts off a substantial amount of animals, unless you are equipped with wellies, waterproofs, and a happy disposition to getting dirty.
The play areas are still accessible, but if it is bucketing down, it's unlikely you'll be letting your little one's stand around in it. The inside play gym would be the best bet for a wet day, but it is not epic in size, so can only house a limited number of children.

Bad weather aside, this farm is fab. A winner in value for money, spaciousness, fun, and enjoyment for all.

Now I have done a little advertising piece on the farm ( if they read this I am most happy to receive a free annual pass for my services!), I shall get back to the post I was composing.

J was bouncing merrily on top of the pillow, and there were three other children joining in ; two boys and a girl.
The girl, I guessed, was around 12 years old.
At first I thought she was feeling a bit perturbed by J and his exhuberant jumping. But after watching from my place of seating, I realised she was trying to catch his eye. She 'liked' him.
In that moment I had a thousand thoughts run through my mind. I pictured him having his first girlfriend, his first date, getting married.....and then remembered he won't be able to do any of those. He won't have an interest in any kind of relationship, let alone a friendship.
I felt sad. I felt upset. I felt cheated. I felt sorry for J, and what he will miss out on. Yes, he does'nt have comprehension of marriage, partners, or relationships, and as far as we are aware, he does'nt understand he is 'different', but still, this is my son, and when we are pregnant (and not aware of what the future holds for our child), we dream. Dream about the life this child will lead. Their future. And because the notion of a learning difficulty is not anywhere in your thoughts at that stage, you don't forsee what transpires as the actual reality.

I will just have to wait a little longer for the fun of first girlfriends, dating, and all the tribulations that that entails. As my middle son is only six and a half, I am thinking another 6 years or so before the fun begins!