Friday 19 November 2010

GP Surgeries

I decided that after our last visit to the GP to discuss J's sleep, or lack of it rather, that I could no longer expect him to be compliant in the surgery waiting room.
The last visit was stressful, sweaty, and upsetting, and that was just me. J was kicking the wall, jumping up and down yelling out phrases such as "brush your teeth", "shut up" and "poo poo".
Everyone in the waiting room ignored him and didn't look or make out they were annoyed which helped me, but I still continued to try to stop and minimise his behaviour.
As is the norm for GP surgeries the appointment time is not the time you will be seen. It is more the time you sit and start clock watching, eyeing up other people, trying to guess who is before you and shifting about getting a numb bum.
After thirty minutes past out allotted time, J was manic and upset a gorgeous little baby girl who was cooing away. He screamed and made her cry. But again the mum didn't look or tut, thankfully.
I went out to the part time doctors/mini Mussolinis at the reception desk and asked what could be done to help us. One of them led us up to a chair outside the GP's room. J found a great large radiator to kick, which reverberated around the corridor.
Finally we got in to see the GP.
What a waste of time though as he told me he could not help with any sleep issues and said the paediatrician at his school was the place to go. Funnily enough the paediatrician told me J didn't have a sleep problem (in her opinion ) and that she couldn't prescribe him anything anyway. Way to pass the buck you 'professionals'!

I knew we couldn't endure another episode like that. But it wasn't until I was having a blood test done that I was alerted to the nurse taking in a young patient, before me, but with an appointment after me (I heard the booking in details). When I asked the nurse she explained the child had special needs and could not wait in the waiting room, so was always put first.
Bells rang in my head and a cheer went up! I could do something about it for J and thanks to seeing this child I knew they would offer it to me if I asked.

After speaking to the Practice Manager a 'flag' has been placed on his name, so when I call and make a booking for him, they can see the request, and make a booking appropriately or make a note so that if he is an emergency patient he will either get a side room to sit in with me, away from others, or we will be the next in.
As I haven't tested this out yet I cannot give an appraisal of it, but my fingers are crossed in hope!